Thursday, December 16, 2010

SAG Nominations

A few notes:
  • The Kids Are All Right, and especially Mark Ruffalo got a much need boost today, and so I am going to keep it in my top 10 for now.
  • Sad not to see Jacki Weaver, and we have now added a sixth person to the Supp. Actress category, as Mila Kunis now has a BFCA, GG, and SAG nod, and may knock off Weaver or Steinfeld for the last spot.
  • I had been holding off on the John Hawkes/Jeremy Renner love, but now it seems we have two major contenders. I have a feeling either one (or neither) will stick, and while the SAG snub stings, I think I am still going with Andrew Garfield, simply on the power of The Social Network.
  • Hilary Swank!! WTF...ok I know I just sounded like a 16 year old girl, but seriously? If they were going to do that, they should have done Rockwell as well. Well I guess that puts Swank in contention all of the sudden (I had written her off). I honestly don't care if she gets nominated (I lie, I really hope she doesn't for this particular movie), but she better not ruin Annette or Natalie's chances of getting the Oscar they deserve. I don't hate Swank, she just doesn't need another Oscar quite yet. Despite this, I am still leaving her out of my predictions for now, until I start seeing some more significant buzz. 
  • Overall, these are still pretty good nominations and some of my favorites (The Fighter ladies, Carter and Firth, Bening and Ruffalo, and Portman) got nods. However, it would have been nice, if they were going to diverge, to have seen nods for the Blue Valentine pair, Leslie Manville, and Jacki Weaver.  
Ensemble: (4/5: Should have known Black Swan)

Black Swan
The Fighter
The Kids Are All Right
The King’s Speech
The Social Network

Actress: (My prediction: 4/5...completely missed Swank)

Annette Bening "The Kids Are All Right"
Nicole Kidman "Rabbit Hole"
Jennifer Lawrence "Winter's Bone"
Natalie Portman "Black Swan"
Hilary Swank "Conviction"

Actor (My Prediction: 5/5!)

Jeff Bridge "True Grit"
Robert Duvall "Get Low"
Jesse Eisenberg "The Social Network"
Colin Firth "The King's Speech"
James Franco "127 Hours"

Supporting Actor (3/5, Ouch!...guess Renner and Hawkes are bigger contenders than I thought)

Christian Bale, The Fighter
John Hawkes, Winter’s Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids
Geoffrey Rush, King’s Speech

Actress, Supp (4/5, Mila Kunis has also cemented herself as a contender...we now have six women for 5 slots)

Amy Adams "The Fighter"
Helena Bonham Carter "The King's Speech"
Mila Kunis "Black Swan"
Melissa Leo "The Fighter"
Hailee Steinfeld "True Grit"

No comments:

Post a Comment