Monday, January 3, 2011

PGA and WGA Predictions

Tomorrow, both the PGA and WGA announce their nominees. Here is a look at how I think things will go down.

PGA Predictions

Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
The Town
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Possibilities: Shutter Island, 127 Hours

Commentary: This is a tough race to narrow down to just ten. In my opinion, there are seven locks: Social Network, The King's Speech, Inception, The Fighter, True Grit, Toy Story 3, and Black Swan. I think that The Kids Are All Right and Winter's Bone are in despite being smaller movies. That leaves one slot for three bigger films, Shutter Island, 127 Hours, and The Town. I am going with The Town for being such a surprise box office hit. However I would not be surprised if TKAAR or Winter's Bone gets left out because both are small movies, and Producers like big movies, plain and simple.

WGA Predictions

Original Screenplay
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
Please Give

Possibilities: Conviction, City Island, The Company Men, Easy A, Get Low, Hereafter, Mother and Child, Secretariat, Solitary Man, Somewhere

Adapted Screenplay
127 Hours
Rabbit Hole
Shutter Island
The Social Network
The Town

Possibilities: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I, Alice in Wonderland, Let Me In

Commentary: Since the WGA eliminated so many wonderful scripts, it is hard to decide what they are going to do. So I listed all the potential contenders based on reviews as possibilities, even if I know better simply to be safe rather than sorry. In terms of Original, Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, or The Kids Are All Right should be locked and loaded. The fifth spot is rather tricky. Someone like Sophia Coppola could sneak in for Somewhere simply due to name recognition. However, I think one of the quirky little comedies such as City Island, Solitary Man, or Please Give could get in instead, so I am going with Nicole Holofcener's wonderful script for Please Give, although since I loved the movie I could be biased.

In the Adapted Category, I think there are only five realistic nominations. The Social Network, The Town, 127 Hours, and Shutter Island seem pretty safe, as they are the most recognizable contenders. In the last spot I am going with Rabbit Hole, simply because it seems more likely than the next possible contenders, all of which are fantasy/horror movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment