Saturday, February 26, 2011

Final Predictions - Best Supporting Actress

Nominees
Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
Helena Bonham Carter in “The King's Speech”
Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”

Will Win - Helena Bonham Carter "The King's Speech"
Should Win - Any of them
Could Win - Leo, Adams, Steinfeld
 
Commentary - I know what you're thinking...really? This category has made my life stressful, as everytime I think I land on the choice that seems right, I switch it. Melissa Leo will most likely win this award. But I equate this year with 2007, the Amy Ryan, Ruby Dee, and Tilda Swinton battle. In the end, it was BAFTA winner Swinton that ended up taking the prize despite a lack of precursors. Carter is one of my favorite actresses, but even I would agree this is not her best role, its a perfectly lovely part, but nothing spectacular. She should have probably had 4 or 5 nods by now, so I'll chalk this nod as a lumping of all those better roles. However, Leo's "Consider" ads, combined with Adams votesplitting, and Steinfeld's newcomer status, make me think that Academy voters look at Carter as the uncontroversial choice, a well-liked actress in a well-liked movie that deserves recognition. I am going out on a limb (as MK would say, "That limbs gonna break!"), and saying that although Leo, Steinfeld, and Adams all have a shot at taking home the gold, that the witty HBC does instead. Plus, I would probably have voted for her after hearing her incredible BAFTA speech, which was funny and humble, and made us all realize why we love her so much. Remember, Academy members vote with their hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment