Wednesday, March 16, 2011

If I Were An Academy Voter - 2007 Part II

Best Art Direction
Academy Winner/My Pick - Sweeney Todd
Commentary - The beautifully dreary sets of Sweeney Todd were great, and to be honest, I'm kind of surprised the Academy went for it, since it practically ignored it.

Best Cinematography
Academy Winner - Robert Elswit "There Will Be Blood"
My Pick - Roger Deakins "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
Commentary - Roger Deakins should have more than one Oscar, and his work in the incredibly boring Assassination of Jesse James was beautiful, and was the best part of the film.

Best Costume Design
Academy Winner - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
My Pick - Atonement
Commentary - The green dress alone should have been enough for Atonement to win, and I find it hard to vote for Elizabeth, as the movie was simply terrible.

Best Film Editing
Academy Winner - The Bourne Ultimatum
My Pick - No Country For Old Men
Commentary - I liked the Bourne Ultimatum, but the editing was a little bit too jerky for me. No Country For Me managed to let scenes linger, yet still keep you in suspense the entire film, which may me more subtle, but still incredible editing job.

Best Makeup
Academy Winner/My Pick - La Vie En Rose
Commentary - Norbit? seriously? Oh well, the aging makeup of Marion Cotillard was fantastic, so it would have gotten my vote, but seriously, Norbit?!

Best Original Score 
Academy Winner/My Pick - Dario Marianelli "Atonement" 
Commentary - I enjoyed the classical score of Atonement ,and thought it enhanced the film tremendously.

Best Original Song
Academy Winner/My Pick - "Falling Slowly" from "Once"
Commentary - I never thought in a million years that the Academy would have actually given the Oscar to this amazing song. It was definitely moment of that night.

Best Sound Mixing
Academy Winner - The Bourne Ultimatum
My Pick - Transformers
Commentary - My vote rests on Kevin O'Connell who has 20 nominations and no wins, and Greg P. Russell who has 14 wins and no wins. How the Academy has ignored them for so long is a shame, and they should have won.

Best Sound Editing
Academy Winner/My Pick - The Bourne Ultimatum
Commentary - Ok, in terms of quality, The Bourne Ulimatum's intricate sound was amazing, so I probably would have split the sound awards to spread around the love.

Best Visual Effects
Academy Winner - The Golden Compass
My Pick - Transformers
Commentary - The Academy really screwed this one up. Love or hate Transformers (I find it kind of annoying personally), no one can deny the incredible effects, and the fact that it was completely snubbed for a less than stellar effects job in The Golden Compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment