Monday, March 7, 2011

If I Were An Academy Voter - 2009 Part II

Best Art Direction
Academy Winner/My Pick - Avatar
Commentary - I know what I said about futuristic sets, but I didn't care for Sherlock Holmes or Nine, The Young Victoria was boring as hell, and The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus, was cool, but the Art Direction looks like something a four year old drew, so I am going with Avatar out of default.

Best Cinematography
Academy Winner/My Pick - Avatar
Commentary - Well, since Avatar visually revolutionized film, I was happy to see the Academy award what is sure to be the future of filmmaking.

Best Costume Design
Academy Winner - The Young Victoria
My Pick - Bright Star
Commentary - Bright Star was snubbed in the since that it only got one measly nod. So, not only does it deserve this award for its vibrant costumes, but it deserves some recognition for being one of the most underrated films of 2009.

Best Film Editing
Academy Winner - The Hurt Locker
My Pick - Avatar
Commentary - The Hurt Locker was well put together, but the moments of intensity, didn't feel as intense as they should have, and I blame the film editor. However, despite being such a long movie, it never felt long, as I was completely enthralled and engrossed in this fast-paced epic. When I walked out of the theatre, I couldn't believe I had been sitting there for three hours, and that is all due to the film editor.

Best Makeup
Academy Winner/My Pick - Star Trek
Commentary - Not only is it the only film of the three I would consider even checking off on an Oscar ballot, but it really did have the best makeup of the bunch (okay I'll admit I did not see Il Divo, but my guess is that most Academy voters didn't either). Plus it was simply an awesome film that deserves some Academy recognition, and this would have been the place to do so.

Best Original Score
Academy Winner/My Pick - Michael Giacchino "Up"
Commentary - I was going to go with James Horner, but he's won before, and the music in Up was devine, plus it is always nice to see Pixar win other awards, hopefully, a sign of future award possibilities to come.

Best Original Song
Academy Winner/My Pick - "The Weary Kind" from "Crazy Heart"
Commentary - The Weary Kind was a hauntingly beautiful song, and perfectly captured the tone and beauty of the film. Definitely the best of the bunch, and my clear voting favorite.

Best Sound Editing
Academy Winner - The Hurt Locker
My Pick - Avatar
Commentary - Avatar was not just a treat for the eye, but for the ears as well. Capturing all the intricate sounds of Pandora, the creatures, the battles, everything. Definitely got my vote, and was snubbed.

Best Sound Mixing
Academy Winner - The Hurt Locker
My Pick - Avatar
Commentary - See Above.

Best Visual Effects
Academy Winner/My Pick - Avatar
Commentary - Duh?

No comments:

Post a Comment