Friday, April 1, 2011

If I Were An Academy Voter - 2003 Part 2

Best Art Direction
Academy Winner/My Pick - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Commentary - Medieval sets accentuated the incredible fantasy elements. True acheivements of of talented art directors.  

Best Cinematography
Academy Winner - Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
My Pick - City of God
Commentary -  I perferred the grittiness of City of God, which was dark and somehow beautifully shot, compared to the more traditional, oceanic Master and Commander.

Best Costume Design
Academy Winner - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
My Pick - The Girl With a Pearl Earring
Commentary - While Girl With a Pearl Earring was one of the most dreadfully boring films I have ever sat through, the costumes were stunning.

Best Film Editing
Academy Winner - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
My Pick - City of God
Commentary - I loved the first two films, and enjoyed the third, but if anything was wrong with the final chapter it was that I thought it was never going to end, a fault of the editors. I prefer the taut City of God, much less strenuous to sit through.

Best Makeup
Academy Winner/My Pick - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Commentary - The Orcs alone are enough for this to win.

Best Original Score
Academy Winner - Howard Shore "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
My Pick - Danny Elfman "Big Fish"
Commentary - This is solely because Danny Elfman has yet to win an Oscar, and Howard Shore would still have two without this one. Plus I really liked Big Fish and felt like it deserved something.

Best Original Song
Academy Winner - "Into the West" from "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
My Pick - "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" from "A Mighty Wind"
Commentary - I loved A Mighty Wind, and A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow was a hell of a lot better than the slow Annie Lennox power ballad.

Best Sound Mixing
Academy Winner/My Pick - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Commentary - The best choice of the bunch. Period

Best Sound Editing
Academy Winner - Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
My Pick - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Commentary - I liked POTC better, and though its sound was more intricate than MaC. Maybe I'm wrong, but it still would habe gotten my vote.

Best Visual Effects
Academy Winner/ My Pick - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Commentary - Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment