Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Emmy Predictions: Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

Will Win - Josh Charles "The Good Wife"
Should Win - Really any of them
Could Win - Peter Dinklage "Game of Thrones" or John Slattery "Mad Men"

Commentary - So this one may surprise people, but in my opinion this is a wide open race, and considering episode submissions I had to go against the majority. Let me explain why. First, I don't think Andre Braugher is going to win. Last year I actually predicted him, but this year he is outshined in his episode by his co-stars, which is not a good way to win an Emmy. I also think Alan Cumming is out, which is interesting because so many pundits have him not only in the top three, but many have him winning. He is great in The Good Wife, but plays second fiddle to many of his co-stars, and while his episode is good, I would be surprised if it won him an Emmy. Walton Goggins finally got a long overdue nomination (he should have gotten one for The Shield), but his performance, while brilliant, is also subtle, and despite a panel of actors voting for him, it might not be flashy enough to win. Peter Dinklage has a real shot at taking this, but I don't know how the Emmys will end up reacting to Game of Thrones (they clearly like it, but maybe not as beloved by the actor's branch as it is by others?). John Slattery finally has an episode that is Emmy worthy, specifically written for him to take home the gold. While I am about 40% leaning towards him, I still think he may get upset. So yes, you can pick up your jaws, I am going with Josh Charles, and I hope you will hear me out. Slattery's episode is great, but Josh Charles is the lead in his. He is literally in every scene, he shows a wide range of emotions, plus the bonus that the acting brach cleary loves The Good Wife (It got six acting nods). Of course, that argument could be made about Slattery and Mad Men as well. This one really is up in the air, and while I may regret going out on a limb, I'm still sticking with my convictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment