Monday, April 23, 2012

Tony Nomination Predictions: Best Actor in a Play

Predicted Nominees
James Corden "One Man Two Guvnors"
Philip Seymour Hoffman "Death of Salesmen"
Stacy Keach "Other Desert Cities"
John Lithgow "The Columnist"
Alan Rickman "Seminar"

Other Contenders - Samuel L. Jackson "The Mountaintop", Blair Underwood "A Streetcar Named Desire", Christian Borle "Peter and the Starcatcher, Hugh Dancy "Venus in Fur"

Commentary - At the moment, the only lock in this very packed race I can be sure of is Philip Seymour Hoffman's incredible performance in Death of a Salesmen. Beyond that, there are at least eight men fighting for four spots. Those at this point not making the cut include Blair Underwood, Samuel L. Jackson, Christian Borle, and Hugh Dancy. Considering the raves for The Mountaintop, at least about the two lead performances, I was surprised when so few pundits thought they would get nominated. I know I should form my own opinion, but sometimes betting against the odds is just not smart. I hope Jackson and Bassett get in, but at this point the odds seemed to be against them. Alan Rickman though should get in for Seminar, as should James Corden. The last two slots are the shakiest. I am going with the more obvious choices of Stacy Keach and John Lithgow, but they are vulnerable to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment