Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tony Nomination Predictions: Best Actress in a Play

Predictions
Nina Arianda "Venus in Fur"
Tracie Bennett "End of the Rainbow"
Stockard Channing "Other Desert Cities"
Linda Lavin "The Lyons"
Cynthia Nixon "Wit"

Other Contenders - Angela Bassett "The Mountaintop", Linda Edmond "Death of a Salesman", Tyne Daly "Master Class", Rachel Griffiths "Other Desert Cities", Annie Parisse "Clybourne Park", Jennifer Lin "Chinglish", Crystal A. Dickinson "Clybourne Park", Rosemary Harris "The Road to Mecca", Nicole Ari Parker "A Streetcar Named Desire"

Commentary - I thought for weeks that Angela Bassett was a lock, but with some stiff  competition, I am actually predictions she is the sixth slot. So while it is still possible, I think that she may not make the cut. Instead, I think her spot will go to Linda Lavin for The Lyons. The other four I am more certain of. Stockard Channing, Cynthia Nixon, Tracie Bennett, and Nina Arianda all seem like locks.

1 comment:

  1. If Angela Bassett doesn't get nominated (and win) I'm going to lose faith in humanity. Seriously, she was beyond phenomenal in The Mountaintop. The way she became Camae and just had the crowd laughing and shouting out with her. The monologue on top of the hotel bed, the closing spoken word monologue, who's gonna top that? Granted, I didn't see the other shows but I just can't imagine her not taking it this year. She's a lock.

    ReplyDelete