Monday, September 24, 2012

2012 Emmys: Final Analysis

So here is a run down of my favorite moments, least favorite moments, and the ones that just made me cringe:

Loved It!
  • Homeland's win was really nice. I would have been happy with Breaking Bad probably more so, but I cannot deny that it is a great show, and a well-deserved win.
  • Damian Lewis and Claire Danes are great on the show, and it was nice to see them win. I love Cranston, but he has gotten his glory, and its nice to see a newcomer get recognition as well.
  • Presenters Melissa McCarthy, Ricky Gervais, and Tina Fey/Jon Hamm were great.
  • The opening scene with Jimmy and the leading ladies was funny, particularly Lena Dunham and Kathy Bates.
  • The TV Movie/Miniseries categories, all four acting winners were nice choices, especially Jessica Lange, and Julianne Moore, who finally wins a major broadcast award. And seeing Danny Strong (Doyle from Gilmore Girls, and Buffy alum) win a wonderful Emmy for his blossoming writing career was a nice moment for those who recognized him. It was also really nice to see Kevin Costner win a major award, I was less than one when he won his Oscars, and he was great in Hatfields.
  • Louis C.K. winning two Emmys for writing, his strongest talent, and his most deserving.
  • The In Memoriam segment was so emotional for me, because there were so many talents that were gone. A nice tribute.
  • Julia Louis-Dreyfuss/Amy Poehler bit. I wanted one of them to win, and then when both got to have a moment of humor, it made it even better. Plus I loved Dreyfuss' win for Veep in general.
  • The Emmy voters seemed to focus a lot on episode submissions, which is what they are supposed to do. So even though some winners were less deserving, at least most of those picked had great episode submissions to back them up.
Eh?
  • Jon Cryer's win was something that I had in the back of my mind, but didn't want to really admit. He won because he is well-liked as a person, and he actually had a great episode submission. So I can't be mad at voters for doing their job. That doesn't mean that I don't think rewarding anything for Two and a Half Men is annoying at this point, or that he was a lot less deserving than Jim Parsons, Louis C.K., or Larry David, but I'm not shocked.
  • Some of the performers bombed, even people I love like Louis C.K., Jim Parsons, and Zooey Deschanel.
  • Jimmy Kimmel had some funny moments, but overall was rather slight.
  • Love Julie Bowen and Eric Stonestreet, but would have liked to see either their other co-stars (Vergara, O'Neill, or Ferguson), or a sentimental favorite like Wiig or Joosten.
  • Tom Bergeron is okay, but if they were going for a dancing show, then I think Cat Deeley should have won instead.
Hated It!
  • The Amazing Race and Daily Show are great shows, but they might as well retire the categories at this point because they never stop winning. It got old five years ago, now it is just oppresive.
  • Tracy Morgan...enough said.
  • My predictions - Should have thought more about episode submissions, but tried to factor in other facotrs. Some years they look more at episodes, some years (Like last year), they don't. It is kind of frustrating, and I wish they would make up their minds.
  • Mad Men has still yet to win an acting award!
  • The lineup. Doing the Comedy and Drama before TV Movie/Mini is frustrating. Those should be the last two categories as they are the most watched and thought about. By the time we got to the end, some of the anticipation was gone.
Overall, it was a great Emmy season, and I enjoyed covering it for you. I hope that you continue to stick around as The Awards Psychic kicks into full Oscar mode! I also want to thank you for your continued support and hope to continue to provide awards coverage for seasons to come!

1 comment:

  1. Happy to see Costner and Berenger win, I really liked Hatfields. Cryer over Parsons, C.K. or David was a crying shame. Mad Men 17 noms without one win, huge blow to fans like me. I don't know why the Emmys have this love for Modern Family. I mean, it's okay I guess. Gervais is hilarious as usual and want him to do Globes again. Homeland is a great show and glad that the Emmys had this great love for the show. Some good wins, some major snubs and some meh moments. I'd give this year a six and a half out of ten.

    ReplyDelete