Monday, July 15, 2013

2013 Emmy Nomination Predictions: Best Comedy Series

2013 Nomination Predictions
1. Modern Family
2. The Big Bang Theory
3. Arrested Development
4. 30 Rock
5. Veep
6. Louie

Other Contenders - Girls, Parks & Recreation, New Girl, Nurse Jackie, Glee, The Mindy Project, Episodes, The Office
Commentary - This year, I don't think anyone in this category is 100% safe. There are at least seven strong contenders for six slots, plus some other contenders such as New Girl, Parks & Recr, Glee, Nurse Jackie, and the last season of The Office. But if we stick with the seven, the question is: which show is left out? I think that Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory are pretty safe. Whether you guys like them or not is not really important to Emmy voters. Both are popular, both did well at the guilds early this year, and I really cannot forsee a situation in which they do not make the cut. I am still a bit leary of Arrested Development because of the Netflix medium, but I think that there is enough good will for it to also make the cut. The last three slots are a bit tricky. Many are suddenly predicting the downfall of 30 Rock. It is not a bad idea, as it is in its last season, NBC isn't doing a lot to promote it (as there will be no ratings bump next year), and the show last aired a while back. That being said, even when it wasn't winning Emmys it was being nominated, and I think enough people will rally behind it one more time to give it at least a farewell nomination. The last two slots are tricky, and I have decided to go out on a very big limb. I think that Veep, despite only three nominations last year is the kind of show that Emmy voters will eat up. Politics plus Julia Louis-Dreyfus usually would indicate lots of success. And while Louie has failed to make the cut the last couple of years, I think that it has finally built enough Emmy prestige to finally make it in. So that leaves Girls out. Most people will probably think I am crazy, and I probably am. But, despite its plethora of nods last year, I just don't see this kind of show as something Emmy voters go for. Furthermore, last year it had a lot of critical support, and this year that support seems reduced to basically just Lena Dunham. I know this is a risk, but I also think that those factors, plus the abundance of mixed press this year for its second season may be enough to shock it out of the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment