Friday, February 20, 2015

The Oscar Narrative: Final Oscar Predictions - Best Actor and Best Actress

Best Actor
Will Win - Eddie Redmayne "The Theory of Everything"
Could Win - Michael Keaton "Birdman" or Bradley Cooper "American Sniper"
Should Win - Michael Keaton "Birdman"
Commentary - There is a lot of buzz about how this is a nail-biter of a race, and honestly, while I think it is the only acting award that isn't a slam dunk, it probably isn't as close as we all think it is going to be. I agree that with Birdman suddenly rising at the guilds that Michael Keaton is definitely in this race. I also agree that if there is going to be a wild card upset it is going to be Bradley Cooper, who is on his third straight nomination, one of the few parts of American Sniper that almost everyone agrees upon, and is clearly a well-liked actor. But I still think Redmayne is ahead, and I just don't see either of them catching up (although if Keaton wins, you would hear nothing but praise for Academy voters from this blogger). Redmayne won the Globe, the BAFTA, and the SAG Award, an award that many thought was a slam dunk for Keaton. This is a hard precedent to beat, and while an upset is not impossible, I think Redmayne wins his first Academy Award.

Best Actress
Will Win - Julianne Moore "Still Alice"
Could Win - Felicity Jones "The Theory of Everything"
Should Win - Julianne Moore "Still Alice"
Commentary - I think all of us have been waiting a long time to see Julianne Moore, one of the best actresses of the last two decades to win a well-deserved, and way overdue Oscar. I am so glad that this year she is the overwhelming front runner for Best Actress. Honestly, the only name I could see called instead is maybe Felicity Jones (If they are voting for Redmayne, the duo also makes sense). But that is not happening. Moore has been waiting way too long for an Oscar, and I think that Sunday, the wait will finally be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment